Grief & Loss
The Pathways Center for Grief & Loss is a free resource to the entire community, regardless of whether your loved one is or was a hospice patient. Our mission is to support and encourage the inherent ability to heal and discern new paths on one’s journey through grief. Professionally trained and masters-level Pathways Center counselors are committed to:
- Providing support to individuals of all ages
- Educating others about common grief responses
- Facilitating opportunities to interact with others who have had similar experiences
- Teaching effective coping skills
- Helping individuals realize the choices that they have on their grief journey
- Acting as a grief and bereavement resource to the community
To learn more visit http://www.hospiceandcommunitycare.org
According to The Jed Foundation, while traditionally the feelings of grief are usually paired with the loss of a loved one, we can have feelings of grief when we have any type of loss. The stages or feelings of grief do not occur linearly, and there are many manifestations.
By recognizing and understanding the signs of grief in ourselves and each other, we can support one another. For more insight on the grief we may be feeling, how to manage it, and the meaning we can find in it, check out this interview with David Kessler, an expert on grief.
Kessler recommends several ways of managing grief:
- Find balance in the things you are thinking.
- Come into the present moment.
- Let go of what you can’t control.
- Exercise an abundance of compassion.
Here is a resource on supporting ourselves and each other through grief:
- The Child Mind Institute’s guide for helping children cope with trauma
If you are feeling loss and grief right now, you are not alone. Acknowledging how we feel can help us begin to accept change. Seeking support can start the healing process. Don’t forget the power of reaching out and connecting with someone you can talk to as well as mental health professionals who are able to help you through this.
WellSpan EAP is not associated with any non WellSpan Health entities or organizations listed on this page, and assumes no liability regarding information presented by these organizations.